Thursday 9 May 2013

Isolated blue Betta fish with the red plant


My experience with the isolated blue betta fish:

I was not very keen on the idea to keeping a fish in a jar when I first heard of this experiment. I thought this behavior was very cruel. My first visit to the lab was very shocking because I felt so sorry for the fish. My fish also did not look happy, he was not even moving on that day. I felt better about the experiment until I learned more about the fish and the conditions it should live in. I also understand that experiments are necessary for learning and observing certain things. Compared to my plant at home, it grows just as well without the fish as this one with the fish. I don't think the nitrogen that converts to nutrients assist the plant in growing better.

I did not give the fish a name or talked to him directly. My observations for the isolated blue fish are as follow:

·         The fish did not make a bubble nest.

·         He was fed once a day.

·         From observing the fish I looked like he has grown a bit.

·         The jar was cleaned often.

·         The fish spend most of its time at the top of the jar with little movement. Later on the fish began to show more movement by swimming around.

·         I never saw the fish opening his mouth.

·         I never saw the fish aggressive; I think this was because he was isolated from the other.

My observations for the plant with the fish:

·         It is a red hypoestes plant.

·         Compared to my plant at home this one did not show much growth in the height. It grew 46mm in 6 weeks.

·         The roots are few and very long. It grew 160mm in 6 weeks.

·         The plant formed more or less 4 new shoots per week and lost round about 3 leaves per week.

·         New leaves were slightly different colours.

My observations concerning the water of the fish and the plant:

·         The colour or the water was not that clear. It is somewhere between light green.

·         The water did not smell.

·         A 20% water change was done twice a week.

·         The quality was tested weekly.

Experimental Design Water Quality: Blue Fish, Red Leaf, Isolated (BRI1)

Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week
(4 new strip)
Week 5
Week 6
NO³ (mg/l)
NO³ (mg/l)
NO³ (mg/l)
NO³ (mg/l)
NO³ (mg/l)
NO³ (mg/l)
25
0 – 10
0
10
10
0 – 10
NO² (mg/l)
NO² (mg/l)
NO² (mg/l)
NO² (mg/l)
NO² (mg/l)
NO² (mg/l)
0
0
0
0
0
0
GH < 3
GH < 3
GH < 3
GH 0
GH 0
GH 0
 
 
 
 
 
 
KH 3
KH 3 – 6
KH 3 – 6
KH 3 – 6
KH 3 – 6
KH 3 – 6
 
 
 
 
 
 
PH <6.4
PH <6.4
PH <6.4
PH 6.4
PH 6.4
PH 6.4





Isolated Plant Growth

1 Month
9 May 2013
Total root length (mm) 239
Total root length (mm) 453
Straggly
Straggly
Mod. Dev.
Mod. Dev.
Good Dev.
Good Dev.
Root Mass X
Root Mass X
Root Ball
Root Ball
 
 
Plant Height (mm) 134
Plant Height (mm) 180
# New Shoots 4
# New Shoots 4
 
 










No comments:

Post a Comment